Home Support Exercise Program
Designed to improve strength, balance and mobility while preventing falls, this program provides a specialized exercise program to seniors in their own home.
- 65+ years of age, frail
- Able to follow instructions or have a caregiver willing to assist
- Living in own home or a retirement home
- Unable to attend a free community exercise class
- Not currently receiving physiotherapy
Sessions are provided once a week by trained volunteers, and clients are encouraged to complete the exercises a few times a week on their own.
Available in all of Halton.
This service is offered free of charge, through the generosity of our funders, donors and supporters.
This Program Gets Results!
Last year, 91% of clients saw an improvement in their TUG (Timed Up and Go) scores (the time it takes to get up out of a chair, walk 10 feet, turn around and sit back down).
Not only that:
- 96% improved their strength and balance
- 86% felt more confident walking
- 82% reported it was easier to put on shoes or put away groceries
- 73% continued to exercise 3 months after the program
- 100% loved the motivation provided by their volunteer (not a surprise to us, our volunteers are the best!)
Here’s what clients are saying about the program:
“It opened the door for me to start going to an exercise program.”
“More energy. Having the volunteer come to my home, I was more dedicated to exercise. I would recommend this program to anyone. My volunteer became my friend.”
“Walking is much better…Friends and neighbours have noticed a difference.”
Contact Leanne Rotz, Program Coordinator at 905-827-8800 or 1-800-387-7127 x2311
Support for this program generously provided by: