Can’t attend these courses and workshops? Sign up to receive registration information for upcoming sessions.
Comprehensive Advanced Palliative Care Education (CAPCE)
Combining the “art” and “science” of Hospice Palliative Care (HPC) for nurses (RNs/RPNs/NPs), this course embeds best practice standards and aligns with the Model to Guide Hospice Palliative Care.
CAPCE focuses on the development and role of the nurse as a Hospice Palliative Care resource for the inter-professional team in long-term care homes, agencies, hospitals and communities.
Central West: Woodhall Park Care Community (10260 Kennedy Rd., S., Brampton)
Wednesdays, Sept 13 | Oct 18 | Dec 20 | Jan 24
8:30am – 12:30pm
Register by July 7, 2017
Applicants who are accepted will receive notification by email on or before July 14th, 2017.
Mississauga Halton: MH CCAC (2655 North Sheridan Way, Suite 140, Mississauga)
Thursdays of 2018, Jan 11 | Feb 15 | April 12 | May 10
Register by October 26th, 2017
Applicants who are accepted will receive notification by email on or before Nov 9th, 2017.
Components of CAPCE include:
- Self-directed reading and reflection
- 6 e-learning modules
- 4 in-person, case-based learning sessions (4 hours in length)
- 4 peer-to-peer exchanges (learning debrief)
- 2 practical application assignments
- 6 individual or small group coaching sessions with local Palliative Care Consultant
- This course will take approximately 5 months to complete
- Will require 3-4 hours of study time per week
CAPCE Selection Criteria:
- Enhanced Fundaments session (to be completed after acceptance to CAPCE)
- Completion of the Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care Core Program
- Minimum of 1 year experience (or equivalent) caring for people with progressive, life-limiting illnesses
- Access to an internet-enabled computer
- Knowledge of basic computer programs
- Applications will be screened and successful candidates will be contacted by email to complete the registration process
- Must attend all sessions in your chosen location
Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care Core Program
This introductory level course is designed for participants from all backgrounds.
The Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care Core Program is interactive, case-based and consists of three in-person learning sessions (3 hours each), reflective activity, peer to peer exchanges, reading requirements, and completion of eleven E-learning modules. Participants must have access to an internet enabled computer.
Silverthorn Care Community – 4350 Missussauga Rd, Mississauga
Tuesdays, Sept 12 | Oct 3 | Oct 24
Woodhall Park Care Community – 10260 Kennedy Rd N, Brampton
Thursdays, Sept 14 | Oct 5 | Oct 26
MH LHIN Regional Learning Centre – 2030 Bristol Circle, Suite 205, Oakville
Wednesdays, Sept 20 | Oct 11 | Nov 1
Billings Court – 3700 Billing Court, Burlington
Thursdays, Sept 21 | Oct 12 | Nov 2
Attendance at all in-person learning sessions is mandatory.
Registration deadline is August 31st, 2017
This course runs in the Fall, Winter, and Spring.
Runs several times a year. Sign up to receive registration information about future sessions.
Pain Assessment and Management (PAM) for Nurses
This is an intensive 2-day course for NPs, RNs & RPNs working in any setting.
September 28th and October 26th, 2017
MH LHIN Regional Learning Centre
2030 Bristol Circle (Second Floor),
Oakville, ON L6H 0H2
A certificate of Continuing Education will be provided when learners have completed both full day sessions (8:30am-4:30pm), 3 practical assignments, 2 online learner reflections and the post-course evaluation.
Sign up to receive registration information about future sessions.
Advanced Comprehensive Education (ACE) For Support Workers
Building on the Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care Course, ACE focuses on the support worker’s scope of practice.
The Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care Course is a pre-requisite. Please bring your textbook with you.
Runs once a year. Sign up to receive registration information about future sessions.
Contact the Palliative Care Consultant in your area, or call 905-827-8111 or toll free 1-800-426-9666.
You can also check out our resources on a variety of hospice palliative care topics.