Can’t attend these courses and workshops? Sign up to receive registration information for upcoming sessions.
Comprehensive Advanced Palliative Care Education (CAPCE)
Combining the “art” and “science” of Hospice Palliative Care (HPC) for nurses (RNs/RPNs/NPs), this course embeds best practice standards and aligns with the Model to Guide Hospice Palliative Care.
CAPCE focuses on the development and role of the nurse as a Hospice Palliative Care resource for the inter-professional team in long-term care homes, agencies, hospitals and communities.
CW LHIN, 199 County Court Blvd., Brampton
Wednesdays, Aug 22 | Sept 12 | Oct 10 | Dec 5 | Jan 9
Tansley Woods RH, 4100 Upper Middle Road, Burlington
Aug 13 | Sept 4 | Oct 1 | Dec 18 | Jan 23
Applicants who are accepted will receive notification by email on or before July 17, 2018.
Components of CAPCE include:
- Self-directed reading and reflection
- 6 e-learning modules
- 4 in-person, case-based learning sessions (4 hours in length)
- 4 peer-to-peer exchanges (learning debrief)
- 2 practical application assignments
- 6 individual or small group coaching sessions with local Palliative Care Consultant
- This course will take approximately 5 months to complete
- Will require 3-4 hours of study time per week
CAPCE Selection Criteria:
- Enhanced Fundaments session (to be completed after acceptance to CAPCE)
- Completion of the Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care Core Program
- Minimum of 1 year experience (or equivalent) caring for people with progressive, life-limiting illnesses
- Access to an internet-enabled computer
- Knowledge of basic computer programs
- Applications will be screened and successful candidates will be contacted by email to complete the registration process
- Must attend all sessions in your chosen location
Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care Core Program
This introductory level course is designed for participants from all backgrounds.
The Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care Core Program is interactive, case-based and consists of three in-person learning sessions (3 hours each), reflective activity, peer to peer exchanges, reading requirements, and completion of eleven E-learning modules. Participants must have access to an internet enabled computer.
Villa Forum – 175 Forum Drive, Mississauga
Thursdays, April 5 | April 26 | May 17
Hawthorn Woods Care Community – 9257 Goreway Drive, Brampton
Tuesdays, April 3 | April 23 | May 15
Avalon Care Centre – 355 Broadway Ave, Orangeville
Wednesdays, April 4 | April 25 | May 16
MH LHIN Regional Learning – 2030 Bristol Circle, Suite 205, Oakville
Tuesdays, April 10 | May 1 | May 22
Attendance at all in-person learning sessions is mandatory. View the flyer.
Registration deadline is March 23, 2018
This course runs in the Fall, Winter, and Spring.
Runs several times a year. Sign up to receive registration information about future sessions.
Pain Assessment and Management (PAM) for Nurses
CW LHIN, 199 County Court Blvd, (Brampton Room), Brampton
May 17 | June 14
This is an intensive 2-day course for NPs, RNs & RPNs working in any setting.
A certificate of Continuing Education will be provided when learners have completed both full day sessions (8:30am-4:30pm), 3 practical assignments, 2 online learner reflections and the post-course evaluation.
Sign up to receive registration information about future sessions.
Advanced Comprehensive Education (ACE) For Support Workers
Building on the Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care Course, ACE focuses on the support worker’s scope of practice.
The Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care Course is a pre-requisite. Please bring your textbook with you.
The Wenleigh – 2065 Leanne Blvd, Mississauga
Thursdays, April 5 | April 19 | May 3
Attendance at all classes is required to receive a certificate. View the flyer.
Registration deadline is March 23, 2018
Runs once a year. Sign up to receive registration information about future sessions.
Contact the Palliative Care Consultant in your area, or call 905-827-8111 or toll free 1-800-426-9666.
You can also check out our resources on a variety of hospice palliative care topics.